Friday, November 28, 2008

A response to the open letter

My previous blog post "Open letter to the media" got me heartening email response from far away. Publishing it here with the writer's permission:

Dear Vimoh,

First of all I hope you are doing well considering the circumstances Mumbai is in at the moment.

I read your "open letter to the media" and it touched me, somehow I wanted to let you know this. I am Dutch and working in an international company with many expats. The Mumbai attacks have shocked us all, especially our Indian colleagues and friends. When I read your letter out loud to my colleague/friend who sits next to me, she's from South America, she became very quiet. A few moments later she said it was so right and so true. In the meantime colleagues from all over the world have read your letter and no matter where they are from, what they do or who they believe in; we all agree.

To be honest I don't really know what to say, but I just wanted to let you know that you are not the only person who feels like this about terrorists. We all feel like this, it's universal. I hope that the thought of you not being alone with these feelings can be a bit of support - it's all I can offer you.

All the best,
LM
Thanks for the kind words LM. Appreciate it! Gladder still to see someone from so far away understand the fact that living in a secular democracy is a privilege we can't take for granted.

blog comments powered by Disqus